How to take care of your Kolinsky brushes?
Ever wanted to try a kolinsky brush? Follow our tips and caring instructions and get ready to take the plunge! If you take care of your Kolinsky brushes properly you will get amazing results and they will last for months even years. So follow our miniature paint brush cleaning instructions and get the best of your natural hair brushes.
Why is it so hard to remove dry acrylic paints?
Acrylic paint is made of water, acrylic resin, medium, binder, and pigments.
Pigments are easily removed from the brush but acrylic resin is not!
The reason is simple, as the water in the paint evaporates the acrylic resin starts a chemical process called polymerization, resulting in a continuous flexible film of plastic!
So once the paint dries out, it is almost impossible to remove it from the brush without damaging the natural hair. So first rule, never let acrylic paint dry on your brush!
Miniature paint brush cleaning tips
- Never let acrylic paint dry on your brush!
- Wash with water immediately after use.
- Wash gently using a little bit of natural soap and warm water (not hot). Rinse under clear water.
- Shake off the water and wipe the brush on a cloth or soft tissue until it is completely dry.
- Reform the tip of your brush after cleaning.
- Store in a dry area.